SCHOOLS VISITS - from the Battle of Prestonpans 1745 Heritage Trust
The Trust continues to offer school visits about the 1745 Jacobite Rising and the Highlanders' Victory at the Battle of Prestonpans. This has proved to be a great opportunity to bring an exciting, dynamic, and unique performance into Scottish schools and to bring the ’45 to life before the pupils’ eyes. More than 40 presentations have already taken place [by April 2011] since the programme was launched in 2009. If your local school is interested please get in touch.
Each session is divided into two halves, each led by a member of our team in full period costume:
- Discover the background to the ’45 Rising
- Hear from a soldier why he joined the army
- Learn what soldiers of both sides wore
- See and handle the weapons of the time
- Learn how the armies deployed for the Battle of Prestonpans
- See our large 3D BattleBoard table, which reproduces the battlefield as it was in 1745
- Re-play the battle in two teams, in a guided Battle Game
- Can you change history by helping the redcoats sweep the field?
These sessions have been purpose designed for the Trust to be lively, interactive, and engaging. They are typically aimed at P6/7, and last approximately 2 hours. Sessions usually need to be performed in the school hall, to accommodate the size of the BattleBoard, and are limited to 30 pupils. A second session for the afternoon can also be arranged.
To book a session at a school, please contact Arran Johnston: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that although the sessions are part-subsidised by the Battle of Prestonpans 1745 Heritage Trust, there is a small charge to the school. Contact Arran Johnston for full details and to agree dates. [Recommendations from teachers who have taken advantge thus far are available ... LINK HERE]